Wednesday, November 14, 2007


Veterans Day Stirs Memories...

For more that 30 years on Veterans Day (formerly Armistice day), my memories mostly have been with buddies who served with me in the U.S. Navy. This week while I'll remember them as always, I'm more stirred up by what keeps happening in the "War without End" in Iraq. Comparisons of U.S. troop involvements:

* World War I - One year, seven months, five days
* World war II - Three years, eighth months, 26 days
* Iraq - Four years, seven months, 20 days and counting

Announcement this week that U.S. military deaths in Iraq this year already have exceeded and previous year should wake up even the most blindly patriotic that this is a tragic misadventure that must end.
We invaded Iraq with faulty intelligence or under false pretenses in March 2003. president Bush declared "Mission Accomplished" in May that same year. Yet, more than four years later our servicemen and women keep dying in record numbers.

No comments: